This is Ukraine - Do not Panic.

Started by Rufus_the_dawg, February 24, 2022, 05:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdw1

Quote from: Slim on February 12, 2023, 08:18:38 PMThat's absolutely horrific if true. Spring offensive on the way, as well.

Not to belittle it in the slightest but I just remembered that nearly 20,000 British servicemen were killed on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.
That was on one day not every day. It is a truly horrific statistic.

Matt2112

Looks like Wagner's unhinged Victor Meldrew-lookalike leader has now claimed territory for himself in, erm, Russia.  Could be a rebellion that blows over, could be a turning point.

Slim

Yes I'm trying to follow it as closely as I can. Could be very good, could be very bad. It can only hinder the Russian war effort in Ukraine, though.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Even if they were to succeed and depose Putin, would it make any difference? Wagner supports the war in Ukraine doesn't he? I suppose at least the distraction benefits the Ukrainians. I understand that 97% of the Russian army are involved in the Ukraine war so never a better time to stage a coup. You'd imagine they:d have to get the Russian air force onside pretty quick if they are to stand any chance

The Picnic Wasp

I think the whole thing is a charade designed by Putin. It gives him the opportunity to go to his people stating that troop withdrawal from Ukraine is the only way he can guarantee Russia's security in the short term. He saves face (sort of), his lunatic Wagner mate gets a pardon, a mega large brown envelope and Belarus gets whatever they asked for.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on June 24, 2023, 11:50:14 AMYes I'm trying to follow it as closely as I can. Could be very good, could be very bad. It can only hinder the Russian war effort in Ukraine, though.
Unfortunately it's all fizzled out too quickly. :(
Could have been very interesting.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on June 24, 2023, 09:25:21 PM
Quote from: Slim on June 24, 2023, 11:50:14 AMYes I'm trying to follow it as closely as I can. Could be very good, could be very bad. It can only hinder the Russian war effort in Ukraine, though.
Unfortunately it's all fizzled out too quickly. :(
Could have been very interesting.

Could have been very dangerous, if hadn't all been staged like an X-Factor episode. Moments like these, if real, would make me hope that the US spy infiltration system would be sufficiently embedded to persuade the Russian subs to head for asylum at the nearest American base. If that could happen and the Russian system went into meltdown, I imagine the Americans and NATO would neutralise the remaining land based missile threat.

Fishy

Wtf is this Richard/Robert Wagner bloke playing at??
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

The US are sending cluster bombs for use in Ukraine. Banned by many nations (including the UK) because they can cause injury, especially to children, for years after their deployment.
Way to go, Joe!

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on July 07, 2023, 01:09:25 PMThe US are sending cluster bombs for use in Ukraine. Banned by many nations (including the UK) because they can cause injury, especially to children, for years after their deployment.
Way to go, Joe!

The human race is beyond comprehension in that it sets parameters for the acceptability or otherwise of the various horrific ways to kill each other.

Slim

We used them in the Falklands conflict. I think we used them in Kosovo as well. I've just read that we used them in Iraq. As long as they go off when they're supposed to I don't have a problem with them.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

There are no 'rules of war'. When the fighting starts everything goes out the windows. It is silly to think agreements can be made otherwise.

David L

Quote from: Slim on July 07, 2023, 04:46:18 PMWe used them in the Falklands conflict. I think we used them in Kosovo as well. I've just read that we used them in Iraq. As long as they go off when they're supposed to I don't have a problem with them.
;D 
We used chlorine and mustard gas in WW1 too

Slim

Quote from: David L on July 07, 2023, 05:19:01 PM;D 
We used chlorine and mustard gas in WW1 too

That's going back a bit.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan