The FiFA World Cup, Qatar 2022

Started by Slim, November 10, 2022, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

I get you about Mbappe, more Ronaldo than Messi in that regard.

For me though its Griezmann's tournament. He seems to have taken on the Pogba and N'kante roles all by himself and is doing better than either in both. Always in the right place, blocking a cross or a player in and around his penalty area, picking up a lose pass in midfield and moving the ball forward. He can equally be found on either wing, delivering a killer cross into the opposition box. Always been a good player but this deeper role has shown him to be sensational

Will be a traversty if he is not player of the tournament.   

dom

Fishy

Yes getting really fed  up with the histrionics on tackling when players go down looking as if they've hit by a sniper .. also the wrapping your foot round  the leg of an opponent and falling down looking for the foul .. so cheating really...
From The Land of Honest Men

dom

England could still win this edition of the World Cup... honestly!

If 4 players from each side are sent off in today's 3rd 4th play-off, the game would have to be abandoned and the match declared nul and void. The same happens again tomorrow in the final and the World Cup would be awarded to the quarter finalist with the best disciplinary record in the tournament.... England.

So any true England fan will be hoping for 2 very card happy refs in the next 2 matches 😁

Slim

My favourite game in the whole tournament was Wales vs Iran. Neither of the next two games will be as interesting or enjoyable for me.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Although the 3rd-place play-off is pretty meaningless it still tends to produce an entertaining game, with both sides freed up to express themselves.

That was certainly the case for this match during France '98 - Croatia vs Netherlands - which I attended (for free). :)

Fishy

Hope France can win today...
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

So, the final is upon us; featuring two of the world's best footballers on opposing teams, but who are team-mates at Paris St. Germain, a club owned by an outfit called...Qatar Sports Investments.

You, um, couldn't write it...

;)

pxr5

Not keen on either, but I hope France can win today.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Deschamps has taken Dembele off before half time. Very disappointing for the lad.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Something off with the French team. Barely incapable of stringing 2 passes together. Argentina winning every loose ball. France distinctly 2nd best and looking off colour.

The second Argentinan goal was beautifully made but they had so much time and space to make it.

dom

It reminds me of the '98 final between France and Brazil when there was all that controversy about Ronaldo pre match. Brazil just didn't turn up and France won very comfortably

Slim

Seven minutes into the second half and at the moment it's not looking like a Game of Two Halves, unless you mean a Game of Two Very Similar Halves.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

The subs have made a slight difference but France still looking way below what you would expect of them