What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

pxr5

I haven't watched Dr Who since Matt Smith finished, but last might's effort was very enjoyable indeed. Ilike the new Dr and his sidekick - I may watch the new series.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Well worth watching the 3 60th anniversary specials with David Tennant and Catherine Tate.

I enjoyed the Xmas special too.

R6GYY

Yesterday afternoon, that perennial classic: The Great Escape.

Last night, we ventured into musical territory. Tempted in by the pairing of Ryan Reynolds and Will Ferrell, we struggled through about 1/2 hour of Spirited before giving up the ghost, as it were. Not for us. Too much musical, not enough comedy.

Others may lap it up.

dom

Sat down and watched BlackBerry yesterday. Glen Howerton from Always Sunny was brilliant. It was far superior to the similarly veined Tetris

pxr5

Finished The Watcher. It was quite good but petered out to a rather unsatisfactory conclusion. I'll give it a 6/10

pxr5

Just finished watching the last series of Ghosts; and the Christmas special. Brilliant TV, superbly written and acted.

R6GYY

Up next tonight is another well-loved film.

Where Eagles Dare

Matt2112

Spider-Man: Across The Spider-Verse

The sequel to arguably the best Spider-Man movie of them all has to live up to an exceptionally high bar but, for me, falls some way short, unfortunately.

While it does somehow manage to ramp up even further the stunning visuals of its predecessor, and the production design is an astounding feast for the eyes, the story is bloated, the running time overlong, the exposition scenes too ploddy and the action sequences seem to be frenetic simply for the sake of it; there's definite pacing issues here.

Still, it shares enough of Into The Spider-Verse's DNA to keep you entertained and I look forward to the next part, Beyond The Spider-Verse, which hopefully will conclude the story with more of a bang.

Rating: ***

pxr5

The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes - It takes place when the future President Snow is but a teen. I've read the book and despite the movie being 2hr37 it seemed a bit rushed to me. Everything was covered but skimmed over too - a TV series would have done the story much more justice. 6/10

Nick

Saltburn - Amazon prime. Rather f@cked up but quite enjoyable in a weird type of way.

pxr5

Leave the World Behind - I really enjoyed this one. 'A family's getaway to a luxurious rental home takes an ominous turn when a cyberattack knocks out their devices, and two strangers appear at their door'. The cinematography was splendid, great acting and script too; it's all been seen before, but this was a little different. The Tesla scene was a wtf moment 8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12747748/

R6GYY

Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Hogmanay Fishing

We plan to watch Baz Luhrmann's Elvis tonight.

The Picnic Wasp

Gone Hogmanay Fishing last night. I loved Paul Whitehouse's take on the festive period. He enjoys it up to a point but a couple of days suffice. After that, he just yearns for the return of the ordinary day to day stuff where he is quite content. I get that. There's always too much expectation at this time of year which invariably falls a bit flat. You can tell the alcohol is now well on the way out of my system.

dom

Such a lovely show. 2 old funny blokes having a laugh with beautiful scenery and the odd fish!