Dreams

Started by Slim, June 04, 2022, 12:06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

A US Army general visits a hospital somewhere in France, during World War II.

He's introduced to the patients, and he comes to a young soldier leaning back in a chair next to one of the beds.

"Hello, son", he says. But the young man doesn't reply. He doesn't stand, or acknowledge the general's greeting. He seems to ignore him.

One of the doctors comes over and explains that the young soldier can't help it. He's not being disrespectful. He's just not well.

And the general is a kind, considerate man. He understands.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Had a vivid nightmare a couple of nights ago.

I was riding a skateboard through a concrete mogul field when it changed to snow. At the bottom of the run I was with my wife but did not have a board (skate or snow). I scrambled back along the run to search for it but it was not to be found. We decided to return to our apartment. Once there we decided to go shopping and found ourselves looking at winter sports clothing in a typical sports shop in a complex.
This just happened to have a train platform just outside the shop (but still within the shopping centre). I told the wife I was returning to the apartment on the train and duly hopped aboard the next one to stop, entering the carriage through large sliding doors. I stood towards the front where a large window allowed a view in front of the carriage. As we pulled out of the station, I surveyed the other occupants who were mostly Japanese. Ah, we seem to be fulfilling our dream of snowboarding in Japan!
There were only a few others on board but directly behind me, seated, was a Japanese couple with a little girl. As the train gathered speed I noticed it was leaving the rails and slewing sideways. Still accelerating, we seemed to be going sideways across a muddy field towards a precipice. The carriage went over the edge and hurtled towards a catastrophic collision with the ground. What was fascinating was the end-over-end motion and the kalaidescopic images of trees and rock-face through the windows. We were, strangely, not being flung around. In fact, those seated, remained so. At this point the little girl was eerily smiling as if she was enjoying the ride unaware of what was about to happen. The falling seemed to last long enough for me to contemplate the 'end'. I remember wondering whether it would come from a piercing tree branch or from the collision with the ground.
Of course, I woke before I found out but the traumatic period lasted longer than usual.

The Picnic Wasp

Two dreadful nightmares last night, one following the other immediately it seemed. Part one, a friend and me trying to escape two dangerous young guys. We tried disappearing into crowds and buildings, even using the trick of going in and out of entrances and exits to station platforms, almost succeeding in giving them the slip, only for the train to pull away too soon. Then part two, very sinister dream. I'm with another friend this time in some kind of horrible, gigantic entertainment complex. Being a disturbing place I decide to leave alone as my friend was reluctant to go. I'm then in an unrecognisable hugely built up area with no phone and no idea where this place was. I try to join a bus queue believing there was only a few people waiting only to be told the queue stretched for miles with no hope of getting on any bus. A devastating feeling of loneliness and loss descended upon me which fortunately signalled the start of  awakening up process. I was tempted to fall back to sleep again but I felt the spectre of the dreams too strongly, pulling me back in, so fought sleep for as long as I could.

David L

I saw someone thrown of a snow-mobile and smash his head into a tree last night. I felt I should've helped but continued to walk past. I was sure there was nothing I could do to save him but he did come round as I walked past. I was still certain that he would die so had no guilt about the situation

Slim

I'm walking out of a building, to a car park where I've left my car. My wife is with me. I'm listening to a radio programme on my personal radio. I don't want to listen any more. I pull the earbuds out.

That's odd .. I'm still hearing the radio.

I get into the car. The car radio's switched on. That must be it. I switch it off. I can still hear the radio. I turn to my wife and tell her I've got a radio programme playing in my head. I repeat the news headlines, as if to prove the point.

I wake up. I left LBC playing on the bedside Echo Dot when I went for an afternoon nap.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

I am in a car park, I was sent there to check up on someone's car. It is the car park for a hotel. I am being seen by a group of young men hanging around and am aware that I need get out of there. I leave and enter the hotel, there is no reception. Just a little concrete staircase that leads up only a handful of steps after which I can choose to go right or left, I choose right and run up the stairs which are out of sight for anyone following me. I can hear him enter the first staircase just before I close the door of the 2nd floor behind me.
I am safe.

The Picnic Wasp

Had a brief Rush dream last night. A change from my usual troublesome and usually work related type. The band decided they needed to rehearse to check that Neil was up to speed as they had concerns. They set the gear up in a public park in the middle of a grassy area. I got to stand beside the drum kit as they began to play. I can't remember the song, but Neil was playing with these long thin sticks and was just very poor. It was like listening to one of those isolated tracks where you realise that the volume and effects in a Rush performance cover up a lot more inaccuracies than one might expect. I seemed to be chatting to Neil as the dream faded into something else.

Slim

I haven't had a Rush dream for a while. I do get them from time to time. And it's always a similar them to that one, some sort of disappointment. The atmosphere's not quite right at a gig, usually. The audience is subdued, and the band is disinterested. Sometimes it's in something like a school hall instead of a proper venue.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

I can't play a musical instrument at all, but I often have dreams about performing on stage. Generally I get asked to step in and  play, knowing I have no ability fills me with anxiety but usually I seem to get by.

Fishy

Quote from: dom on December 07, 2023, 12:33:15 PMI can't play a musical instrument at all, but I often have dreams about performing on stage. Generally I get asked to step in and  play, knowing I have no ability fills me with anxiety but usually I seem to get by.

I've had that dream many times...and also dream songs which I can never remember
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Fishy on December 07, 2023, 01:45:19 PM
Quote from: dom on December 07, 2023, 12:33:15 PMI can't play a musical instrument at all, but I often have dreams about performing on stage. Generally I get asked to step in and  play, knowing I have no ability fills me with anxiety but usually I seem to get by.

I've had that dream many times...and also dream songs which I can never remember
Me too. Often taking the role of guitarist

Fishy

Quote from: David L on December 07, 2023, 02:04:20 PM

Me too. Often taking the role of guitarist

Yes I'm usually guitar and vocals...
From The Land of Honest Men

dom

Yes I woke up once with a decent riff I'd come up with.  Forgot it soon after though!

Matt2112

QuoteYes I woke up once with a decent riff I'd come up with.  Forgot it soon after though!

I once woke immediately after dreaming a cracking melodic hook which I immediately hummed into the voice memos app on my phone, even though the temptation to fall back asleep again was strong.

Unfortunately that audio clip isn't time-stamped and I can't remember which of the many on the app it actually is; inspiration usually strikes when I'm alone walking the dog, or something.

Matt2112

A couple of nights ago I didn't sleep particularly well but had a dream that actually felt quite pleasant.

One minute I was playing football with a good-natured bunch of people I didn't recognise but "knew".

The next, those same people and I are backstage at Leeds Academy, all hyped and apprehensive as we are about to play a gig.  Even though there are at least a dozen of us, we're a Queen tribute band and I have Brian May's role.

It's soon showtime, so we get in line (I'm near the back) and make our way up a few short flights of steps; as we get near the top, I can glimpse the auditorium (it doesn't look exactly like the real Leeds Academy) and become extremely excited, but nervous, as it looks packed to the rafters out there.  As the intro music plays and I reach the last step at the side of the stage and marvel at the glare of the lights just beyond, I think to myself, "This is it!!" - and wake up.