Main Menu

Glasto Roast 2023

Started by Matt2112, June 23, 2023, 07:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Had no intention on watching all of Elton but ended up doing just that... never a huge fan but it was pretty enjoyable.. except for the bloke in the pink suit...
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Yes, the pink-suited chap didn't seem to contribute much of note.

The only really bad part of the set for me was including that awful dance mash-up of Sacrifice and Rocket Man which features blandola pop songstress Dua Lipa; but it gives the band a five minute break I suppose.

Fishy

What happened to Kiki Dee ??  and the other guest bloke not Flowers he was an utter waste of time... Elton would have done well just turning the radio off when that guy came on....  it's his own song yeah and it sucks..
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I enjoyed Elton, but at the same time I can see why he needs to retire from live work. His performance was a little bit strained. I didn't really see a need for the guest artists. Couldn't Kiki Dee have done Don't Go Breaking My Heart?

I was pleased he played Crocodile Rock, because I well remember seeing the promo video for that on Top Of The Pops in 1972 which I think is probably the moment I became aware of him. I did have one of those TOTP covers albums with Honky Cat on, though at roughly the same time.

Just checked and Rocket Man was a hit before either of those two came out so I must have seen that on TOTP.

Elton this year, McCartney last year. Imagine if we'd seen Sinatra or Bing Crosby headlining Glasto in the '90s, with huge crowds of young people singing along to their hits.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Apparently, the reason why The Acoustic Stage (where The Saw Doctors headlined last Friday night) wasn't covered by the BBC is because the BBC are under instruction by the organisers not to film there. WTF. ::)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 27, 2023, 01:03:12 PMApparently, the reason why The Acoustic Stage (where The Saw Doctors headlined last Friday night) wasn't covered by the BBC is because the BBC are under instruction by the organisers not to film there. WTF. ::)

I grew up assuming that everything related to the BBC was righteous. How wrong was I? I had to Google the use of a question mark in this rhetorical instance, something that very few BBC journalists would bother about now, There's many things I'd like them to be excluded from, so The Acoustic Stage is a start I suppose.

Neillwith2Ls

The QotSA set was incendiary, must get a ticket to see them live. Gn'R looked bored, yet they played pretty well (despite Axl's hyper-ventilating yelps). Elton was utterly fantastic, and looked genuinely happy and pleased to be there. Very doddery though, probably the right decision to retire. What an incredible crowd though, estimates were 120,000? My other highlights were the Manics, Rick Astley and Blossoms doing The Smiths set, and Maggie Rogers.

captainkurtz

Looking forward to seeing QOTSA destroy Stockton in November.  lol.  What an odd venue for them to play...and handily a short drive away.