Main Menu

Glasto Roast 2023

Started by Matt2112, June 23, 2023, 07:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

It's back!  The almost annual gathering of champagne anti-capitalist environmentalists who have driven tens of thousands of cumulative miles convene once again to spaff £12 per glass of fizz via their Amex cards, generate 500 tons of pollution and leave waste of biblical proportions behind them.

Headlining tonight are South Yorkshire's own not-at-all-performatively-thickly-regional-accented indie-rock cheeky chappies Arctic Monkeys.  Again.

Meanwhile, in an absolute scandal of broadcasting schedule ineptitude, one of my beloved, favourite ever bands, The Saw Doctors, will NOT be broadcast by the BBC as they are not covering the Acoustic Stage.  Unforgivable - why do I bother paying a licence fee?

Anyway, roast away...

pxr5

Very well put Matt. There is little of interest to me there and I'll see if anything I want to see is on iPlayer later on. I thought the beeb covered all main stages, it may be worth keeping a check on iPlayer just in case something is broadcast, but only shown later on.

Even my son and his girlfriend (currently driving back from the Isle of Wight festival) don't fancy Glastonbury. To me the whole thing looks hideous. I'll be at Lytham festival next week instead to see Sting and Blondie - that's about my level for a festival.

Talking of waste left at festivals. My Father-in-Law's wife used to be high up in the Brownies and regularly got invited to festivals to help themselves to abandoned tents. The amount they took was staggering and they barely scratched the surface of what got left behind. One time a tent was a bit heavy and on investigation there was a 24 pack of Fosters inside. They took that sharpish lol. But they took away loads of other things too - torches, sleeping bags etc.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Any chance of them showing Steve Hillage, who is exactly the sort of act who made Glastonbury what it used to be? NO  >:(

Put the news on tonight hoping to see the weather forecast and it was some dumb broad banging on about Glasto. She then got Sharleen Spittoon from Texas on to moan about the under representation of wimmin. Look Loves, the male acts are shit so stop whinging.

Matt2112

Right, after five minutes of watching BBC's "highlights" - new rule, Eavis: any "act" that has more laptops than stringed instruments must not be allowed to perform on any stage before at least 11pm, other than at whatever probably shite dance tent you have erected in some appropriately cowshit-ridden field somewhere on the outskirts of the site.

Cheers. ::)

captainkurtz

The pretenders were great.
I enjoyed Guns.
Foos were Foos.  I miss Taylor.
Saw 5 mins of Arctic Monkeys and wasn't impressed - yet was blown away a fortnight ago when I saw them.
Fred Again - pants.
Sharleen Spitiri is looking old, I was expecting her to look like she did in 1997.

David L

Quote from: captainkurtz on June 25, 2023, 04:49:40 PMThe pretenders were great.
I enjoyed Guns.
Saw 5 mins of Arctic Monkeys and wasn't impressed - yet was blown away a fortnight ago when I saw them.
Fred Again - pants.
Sharleen Spitiri is looking old, I was expecting her to look like she did in 1997.

I expected G&R to be shite but dodgy vocals aside, I think they delivered. You couldn't have really hoped for anything more from them.
I was very surprised they went on when they were supposed to

pxr5

Quote from: David L on June 25, 2023, 04:53:45 PM
Quote from: captainkurtz on June 25, 2023, 04:49:40 PMThe pretenders were great.
I enjoyed Guns.
Fred Again - pants.

I expected G&R to be shite but dodgy vocals aside, I think they delivered. You couldn't have really hoped for anything more from them.
I was very surprised they went on when they were supposed to
Unlike Lana Del Rey who started 30 minutes late and had to to cut short her set:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66011512

Matt2112

Axl's voice is completely shot - he sounded atrocious, frankly. 

At least Debbie Harry has her excuses at her age.

I get the impression that many of the very well established bands phone it in at Glasto.

The Picnic Wasp

Axl was absolutely slaughtered in a review in The Independent. It was a bit of an over the top condemnation. I've never been a fan but I thought their performance was tight and just what you would expect from them. All of the singers from my era are succumbing to the inevitable now. Man! This ageing thing is a pain. Literally!

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 25, 2023, 08:17:14 PMAxl's voice is completely shot - he sounded atrocious, frankly. 

Axl's voice has always been awwful.

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 25, 2023, 08:17:14 PMAxl's voice is completely shot - he sounded atrocious, frankly. 

The style he chose to sing G&R songs meant his voice was never going to age well IMHO. He was ripping his vocal chords to shreds when they were at their peak (see also, Tom Keifer)

pxr5

So as Elton gives us his swan song that's it for another year. Last year I downloaded 2 sets to keep: Squid and black midi. This year only one: Black Country, New Road.

Sorry Matt, The Saw Doctors is not on iPlayer anywhere (I even did a scan with get-iplayer and nothing there). The BBC must not have bothered recording it. I really think all the main stages should be on iplayer at least. Oh well we may be lucky and get - The Spice Girls next year haha - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66013502

David L

Elton played a blinder! Very enjoyable.

captainkurtz

Queens of the Stone Age were fantastic.
War on Drugs were my band of the weekend.  Just as they did when I saw them in Barca earlier in June, they are the perfect band to blissfully chill out to on a balmy summers day as the sun is setting...fantastic.

Matt2112

Elton was good. Does he really need three percussionists though?

I feel asleep toward the end (no reflection on his performance).