Main Menu

Burt Bacharach

Started by Slim, February 10, 2023, 02:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Sad to hear that Burt Bacharach had died, yesterday. Such a prolific songwriter; a prominent part of the cultural fabric of the 20th century.

I thought I'd post a few of his tunes that I'm especially fond of. This one for me was his absolute masterpiece, and Cilla sings out of her skin here. That's Burt tinkling the ivories.

Dionne Warwick was touted for it - she was the singer most associated with Burt's stuff. But the producers of the film wanted an English singer, to tie in with the theme.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Another iconic '60s popstress performed what I think is probably my #2 Burt tune.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

The Poundshop Prefabs recorded a version of I'll Never Fall in Love Again in 1990. I never much liked them, but I liked this. Probably not as much as Dionne's version, but this is a bit different.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

What lovely tunes and seemingly what a suave and charming gent.  RIP, fella - your tunes will be listened to for generations to come, that's quite the legacy.

Matt2112

Yes, a complete master of his craft and as a person always came across as classy as his songs.

Last year it was great for me to see/hear the fruits of a collaboration with Richard Marx in a song (Always) that appeared on Marx's excellent Songwriter album; while of course it won't make an indelible mark on the soundtrack of the times like some of Bacharach's other work, its slow, smooth, after hours jazz-tinged piano chords unmistakably has the great man's fingerprints all over them.

Few tunesmiths will match his iconic work.

pxr5

He made Cilla Black sing Alfie 31 times before he thought it was good enough. 

It was only after they listed his songs yesterday that I realised how much he'd actually written - a brilliant songwriter.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pxr5 on February 10, 2023, 08:11:10 PMHe made Cilla Black sing Alfie 31 times before he thought it was good enough.

And it still isn't...

Mind, it helps loosen the wax in my tabs :)