What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pudders

Quote from: David L on October 11, 2023, 10:42:57 PMAfter 3 months, the best bar in Witney, 'Drummers', has reopened today as 'The Crafty Pint'.
Nice to quaff a few ales there tonight with Mr Pudney of this parish. A good day indeed
:)

Ha! Just came on here to make a similar comment! Cracking night and good to see you both again. Lovely to have it back, such a great place :)

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on October 13, 2023, 05:07:27 PMMy beard trimmer died so I bought a special Remington Manchester United limited edition one from Amazon.

Glazers' Razors - so good they bought the club!

David L

Purveyor of posh panties prioritises profit over principles in u-turn on porky patron policy

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/victorias-secret-lingerie-sexy-image-b2432374.html

Go woke.....go broke  ;D

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Waking up and remembering that the two tonnes of firewood which I ordered was delivered yesterday, and after countless hours (well three) traipsing up and down the garden with a lot of heavy lifting and stacking, it is all put away. That, and the fact the aching back and muscles that I was dreading this morning aren't too bad at all. Maybe I'm fitter than I think (and look).😁

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 25, 2023, 11:32:58 AMWaking up and remembering that the two tonnes of firewood which I ordered was delivered yesterday, and after countless hours (well three) traipsing up and down the garden with a lot of heavy lifting and stacking, it is all put away. That, and the fact the aching back and muscles that I was dreading this morning aren't too bad at all. Maybe I'm fitter than I think (and look).😁

Considering you enjoy one minute activities, this is not too bad I suppose.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Thenop on October 25, 2023, 11:45:18 AM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 25, 2023, 11:32:58 AMWaking up and remembering that the two tonnes of firewood which I ordered was delivered yesterday, and after countless hours (well three) traipsing up and down the garden with a lot of heavy lifting and stacking, it is all put away. That, and the fact the aching back and muscles that I was dreading this morning aren't too bad at all. Maybe I'm fitter than I think (and look).😁

Considering you enjoy one minute activities, this is not too bad I suppose.

Nah, takes me at least two minutes to drink a can of beer.😂

Fishy

Boris Johnson: Former prime minister to host GB News show https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67242822

GB news....They don't set the bar very high do they... lol
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

Learning that Noddy Holder given six months to live, five years ago is still with us after receiving experimental chemotherapy treatment. Amused that in his house they don't play Merry Xmas Everybody at Christmas. "If they want to hear it, I'll sing it" I think he said.

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Learned a new word. Preternatural. The Telegraph describing Simon Le Bon's cheeks.

David L

Rail station ticket office closures - scrapped
:)

Matt2112

"Your pronunciation is excellent"

Yep, I'm wowing the locals in Greece again... :)

Matt2112

Ticking a bucket list item with a visit to the Acropolis in Athens.

But not just that.  The weather was (of course) glorious - at 26 Celsius more than warm enough for t-shirt and shorts but not energy-sappingly hot. 

There was hardly any queue at the entrance (my decision not to buy "skip-the-queue" tickets entirely vindicated) and although the site had a fair amount of visitors, it wasn't at all crowded, so there was very little waiting to take shots of the various prime locations and (wonderful) views across the city.

There was a truly lovely moment as we walked alongside the Parthenon when we happened to encounter a guy down on one knee proposing to his partner.    It's presumably a common occurrence up there, but still, a part of the visit amongst many that will stick in the memory.

I strongly recommend to anyone who wishes to visit to definitely avoid the high season if possible, when (I'm reliably informed) the heat and crowds can be overwhelming and diminish the experience.  Late October/early November is perfect, as I found out today. :)

Matt2112

Another day of touristy things with the little 'un, this time in London, showing her all the landmarks she's seen only on the telly etc.

We're staying very near Tower Bridge, so started there, then took a river taxi (this being a first for me also) to Westminster where her face lit up to see the Elizabeth Tower ("Big Ben is the bell inside", she kept reminding us).

Then a very pleasant stroll in surprisingly nice weather with more phone camera snapping sessions at Parliament Square, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square.

And we're off to Frozen: The Musical tonight.

A pretty much perfect day - save for all the endless bloody tourists. ::) ;)