Cycling 2023

Started by Slim, January 02, 2023, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Back to a 40 miler today. Surprised the garmin recommended me to do an hour and twenty seven minute base level ride. Even more surprised that I managed two hours and twenty seven base level ride. Mind you, it has decided of its own volition that my max MR is about ten higher than it should be, that makes it easier to stay in a lower zone.

Didn't bother going up to the Peaks today with it being a Bank Holiday, was surprised to see that there were quite a few cyclists out on my non-scenic route. Even more surprised to not get a close pass until a couple of hundred yards from home! It was a bit of a stinker though.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9736084609

Nickslikk2112

And another 40 and a bit miler. Got to 760 miles for August now. Should be able to reach Strava's 1,250km distance challenge for August tomorrow. Provided none of the local motorists I've offended in the past few weeks try running me off the road...

Did my second ride up most of Froggatt this year - been coming in part way up due to roadworks - and it seemed as if the road's been stretched out longer since last week, yet I did it in exactly the same time. Felt slower, which it will be if the road's been stretched.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9742326059

Slim

A dry afternoon, though it rained heavily in the morning. Wanted to do at least 36 to get me to 500 for August, which I'm more than happy with having been away for the first ten days.

I did a Twycross Bypasser; the version that takes in Ratcliffe Culey and Fenn Lanes. I was a bit annoyed that the western end of Fenn Lanes has had the el-cheapo resurfacing treatment sometime in the last few weeks. But apart from that, a thoroughly pleasant run out.

Cool at first, warm when the sun came out later. I listened to more Reacher throughout and I have to say that it's gone a bit bizarre. The plot doesn't quite make sense.

40.29 miles, 505 done this month. And that'll be it for August.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9751511440
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Got out for 30 miles this morning. The 11% chance of showers by 11:00 was a 100% chance of half an hour of pissing it down from 10 O'clock...

Dried off by 11:15 so went out and did the 16 miles to reach 1,250km for August and 14 more for good luck :) August now done on 791 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9748853905

Slim

With the wind coming from the east for a change and a light wind at that, I left work early in the hope of getting the September fondo in early. I'd been looking forward to doing the traditional eastbound route for a while. So I did. Went as far as Eastwell crossroads, came back exactly the same way.

I listened to the last few hours of the Reacher novel, Nothing to Lose. I'm afraid that this one, the twelfth in the series, didn't quite hit the mark. The plot is sillier than a Roger Moore Bond film, the ending is preposterous and the way that Reacher works out what the bad guys are up to is just not believable in the slightest. He'd have to be psychic. Having said that, it did maintain my interest and I enjoyed it. But it's well daft.

Then I listened to the Stones' Undercover, which as I expected is a weak record.

Nice out there, A bit too warm after the first twenty minutes but fortunately I'd thought to take a backpack so I stuffed a layer into it after 20 miles or so. I treated myself to a Magnum ice-cream lolly on the way back, from the petrol station at Burton on the Wolds.

Back about a minute after a beautiful sunset. I'd put my rear light on a few miles from home, coming through Thringstone. Yep, it's that time of the year when you have to start thinking about lights on a ride after work.

62.27 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9764056001

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Just returned from a lovely ride on the road bikes. I'd go as far as to say the weather was the best we've experienced this summer, just glorious.
We decided to take in some hills today so headed out to Wychwood Forest and Chadlington. From Chad we took in Kingham, Idbury, Fifield, Shipton under Wychwood, Fulbrook and Burford. At Burford we enjoyed a lunch of sausage rolls and banana cake from our favourite shop, Lynwoods.
From Burford we followed the river Windrush through Swinbrook, Asthall Leigh and Minster Lovell. About a mile from home we stopped at The Lamb, Crawley, for a refreshing cider shandy. A really pleasant 37 miles.

Fishy

Did a 38 miler earlier  today.. tried to come up with a route using all the single track roads I've discovered over the past few months.. worked out pretty well.. out to Dalrymple and Dalvennan Woods then onto
Coylton Trabbach and Stair then head back to Ayr to pick up National Route 7 along the seafront to the pier then home.. good fun and weather was very warm with quite a fresh breeze in places
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

A properly warm, sunny day with a light wind coming from the south. I was only going to do about 35-40 today having put a decent shift in on Friday, but by the time I was 20 miles down the southbound route, I'd decided to make another fondo of it.

I didn't go all the way down to Welford. I turned back after the half-fondo distance, at Welford Road. Bought some snacks and Lucozade at a petrol station on Gilmorton Road and stopped in Gilmorton to consume them. The village shop is closed on Sundays, but the bench on the opposite side of the road is always open.

As I sat there munching on a Ploughman's sandwich, I heard the growl of a vintage piston engine. Looked up to see a P51-D Mustang circling overhead. Obviously I wondered why so I did the necessary Google research when I got back; there was a "Victory Show" featuring an air display at Cosby, a few miles to the north.

Listened mostly to footy on 5 Live but also to the Stones' Dirty Work, which against my expectations is actually not bad at all.

I was on call but it's been so quiet this last few weeks that I didn't even think about it, let alone stress about it.

Back on 63.67 miles so already, it's a Double Fondo September! That was this year's 23rd fondo. I'm hoping to do 5776 miles this year to equal the 2016 distance tally, my second-highest.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9776872636

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Opened September's account today on a beautiful late Summer's afternoon, the first time since June that the temperature has been over 23C, suppose it's a back to school thing.

Just a 33 miler as too much time was spent watching cycling - Bretagne Classique/Tour of Britain/Vuelta a Espana - but I could still feel Friday's cheese platter weighing heavily on my stomach.

Going up through Old Brampton I heard jet engines low overhead, but didn't catch sight of anything. Probably the Red Arrows as they were on at Chatsworth Country Fair today.

And I'm finally over 4,000 miles for the year. Don't think I'll equal last year's 7,150.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9777370973/

Nickslikk2112

Crikey, it was nice out there today, probably too nice, what's left of my brain got a bit cooked with wearing a helmet. Spent all afternoon scraping salt crystals from my hair into the salt cellar.

Did the same ride as the last couple of Tuesdays - but slower. The heat didn't help and nor did the headwind on the way back. I was quicker up to the half way point, but the long mainly downhill run into home was held back by the Easterly.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9787679791

Slim

Another very warm day with light winds. I did a Bypasser. Unusually, I went right down to Atherstone - not done that for a couple of years - and I found a short cut to take me back northward without going right into the centre of town. I think I've done that once before. I suppose there must be a way to search the times you've done a particular segment on Strava.

On the way back up I decided to take a left to take me to San GIovanni at Sheepy, for a pit stop involving a margerita. However, embarrassingly, I somehow got lost and ended up looping back onto the main road, further down than when I'd taken the turn! I decided just to head for home at this point. I came back the quick way along Gibbet Lane.

That must have been the warmest ride since last summer and I wore my skimpiest cycling clothing. But the last 45 minutes or so was glorious with a cooler breeze and that beautiful pre-sunset light.

I listened to a highly entertaining feature about the Rolling Stones' new album on 5 Live Drive, in which they had the guitar player from a tribute band accompany listener's Rolling Stones anecdotes with classic Stones riffs played as background music. And they played a snippet from the new single - nothing special but remarkable energy.

Back on 37.89 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9797837816
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Went out for my seemingly annual ride out to some Nottinghamshire backwater for a blink and you'll miss it passage of the Tour of Britain. I'd picked the top of a King of the Mountain's point as they tend to come over more slowly there. This was Nottinghamshire though.

It was nice and pleasant when I set off, the early morning mist and low cloud had burned off, but after an hour it was starting to cook the insides of my head. Nice to catch the breeze on downhill sections though. I managed to blow away a whole bunch of riders and take the victory at the intermediate sprint point, but that was my only success...

A lot of cycling clubs out today, I'll never join one as I won't fit in. I overtake all the Coffee and Cake riders and blown away by the wannabe racers. But I'm happy with what I do.

I tried for the King of the Mountains, but what I thought was the KoM point was a 500, to go sign. My legs blew up and the wannabe racers cruised by. There were some nice bikes out though, getting the n+1 juices flowing.

Had to wait best part of an hour for the peloton to come through, but I got given a flag from the St Piran cycling team. Cornwall's finest. They weren't in the three man break though, that was the usual Bolton Equities Black Spoke Rider and Harry Tanfield and chum from Unibet-TBT. JV and Movistar were pulling the peloton along. They were all significantly quicker than me up the hill.

Then it was time to turn tail and head home. It was hot. Could've done with an extra bottle, but I kept well fed, enough fuel to complete a Fondo. Just.

It's been interesting looking at Segments I've done today and seeing names like: Wout van Aert; Olav Kooij; Nils Pollitt; Ethan Vernon and Zeb Kyffin on the list. On the KoM segment I was at least quicker than any woman, including Dutch professional rider Marjolein van't Geloof, but it appears she's on a cycle touring holiday.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9795447563/

Nickslikk2112

Just the 30 miles today. Legs were feeling a bit leaden, but the sun was shining and it was still coolish at 10:30. Didn't stay cool for long and I was soon sweating like a pig, but good to get out.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9801061931

Slim

Well that was a bit different. I started work at 0600 so I left early, with the intention of maybe doing 20 miles of the Lower Westbound route, then coming back.

Unfortunately I somehow missed the turn for Lullington. Realised this when I found myself about to enter Coton in the Elms. Well, no matter - I've been that way dozens of times as well. But then I missed the turn for Walton. So I found myself entering a depressingly busy and urban Burton on Trent. I kept on keeping on though until I saw a sign for Abbotts Bromley, and I took that.

Went as far as Needwood, where I stopped for a very welcome cold can of Dr Pepper at a petrol station. Then I took a sign to Barton under Needwood, which is also familiar territory.

Quite enjoyed the new bits of road between Burton and Barton under Needwood though it would be tricky to get them into a regular route without negotiating Burton.

Later, trying to get back on the usual track on the way back I unnecessarily took a turn for Lullington that was no more than a pointless detour. Then bizarrely, later on again, I strangely missed the turn to Packington and continued right on to Ashby.

I can only think that the heat must have cooked my brain a bit. It was hot out there.

On the way into Ashby I overtook a lad on a BMX. Clearly he was affronted by this and he attempted to overtake back. He pulled alongside with a huge grin on his face, bless him. He was about 13. I'm sorry to confess that I did indulge him. He was never going to catch even an old man on a Roubaix with short legs and a BMX. I suppose I shouldn't have done that, he wasn't wearing a helmet and he gave it a good go. Then again, neither was I.

I think I probably missed an opportunity today .. should have taken the day off and done Wales and back or something. Probably not going to get another opportunity for a long day on the bike in weather like this in 2023.

Listened to Steely Dan's Aja and Radio 5. Back on 49.12 miles.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9810382056

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

After a couple of days spent watching people ride bicycles over rather too many mountains - I'm not talking Tour of Britain - I thought I'd better get out again.

Was getting on for 17:00 before I hit the roads and it was rather warm, so I took the gentle route up to the tops, up through the delights of Dronfield. Managed to go by someone on an e-mountain bike up through Unstone, thankfully he can't have been running on full power or I might have exploded. Nothing worse than finding out the bike you've been following has been running with assistance.

Quite surprised to end up averaging 17.5 mph for the ride as I wasn't trying to go full gas in the heat, lack of wind may have helped, and a nice downhill section.

https://www.strava.com/activities/9816509011/