What's made your day today?

Started by pxr5, February 25, 2022, 02:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

February Wordle league table here

Nickslikk2112

On a a skiing holiday to Austria many years ago, the Ski rep said the in the film the Von Trapps were actually walking back into Germany. How true that is I don't know as I've never seen the ghastly thing.

David L

Julie Andrews was a bit of stuff then

Slim

I've already posted this in the cycling thread, but I thought some readers who don't visit that thread might be interested.

While out on a bike yesterday I saw a couple of Spitfires, late in the day. And today, I managed to find flight data for a Spitfire that overflew Edingale and Lullington at 17:38 yesterday, at a height of 3950 ft. I pinpointed my position at that time using the track off my Garmin and I was about 420 metres to the north of it at this time, just to the west of Lullington.

https://planefinder.net/flight/GRRGN/time/2022-07-03T16:10:00.000Z/speed/1

This does match my recollection that it was going in the same direction as myself.

Apparently it belongs to Rolls-Royce, a Mark XIX. So it was actually a Griffon engine that I heard, not a Merlin.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/iconic-second-world-war-aircraft-4736868

The one I saw later wasn't the same one, this one landed at East Midlands Airport ten minutes later.

Glad to know that Royces still own a Spit. I saw their Spitfire XIV overfly our offices in Derby in 1990. Sadly that one was lost in a fatal crash two years later at the Woodford Air Show.

pxr5

My son and his girlfriend are in Madrid for a week to watch the Mad Cool festival. Just had a video of them watching Metallica. What's made my day is that my son has a really bad fear of flying. It started one time (he was 9) as my wife flew back to the UK from Cyprus with him. He'd flown before then, but for some unknown reason he went to bits. So for him to fly to Madrid like this is very courageous  of him. I know he'll be putting on a brave face for his girlfriend, but good for him.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

captainkurtz

I find, as I get older, I'm not that keen on flying, either.  Across the board, I'm generally a little more anxious about things as well...

Slim

Footage of a mad woman being tasered. I would have supported the police officer using his firearm here, to be fair. If you've been asked to drop a knife three times and have declined to comply, I think it's the right approach.

Nick

My old earbuds died recently just before my hols. Managed to get a pair of Bose earbuds on Amazon prime day on Tuesday about £100 cheaper than normal. Excellent sound and noise cancelling, far superior to my previous ones.

pxr5

We picked up our brand new car today. Ordered 13 April 2022, so not too bad delivery time considering the current issues with semiconductor supply.  :)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Seeing an England football team win a major tournament today was quite enjoyable - however, my day was really made when BBC News at Ten ended with a montage of England's Euro final victory with Van Halen's Top Of The World playing over it. :D

David L

Premiership teams to drop 'taking the knee' for the new season

Matt2112

Travelled about 2,000 miles roughly in a south-easterly direction today, which culminated in me being told at a hotel reception: "Your pronunciation is very good". ;)

Greece, I've missed you. 8) :D

Nickslikk2112

Sitting out in the sun watching 9 Long Tailed Tits and a Blue Tit on one of our Bird Feeders. With two LTTs watching on from a nearby tree branch. Does life get any better? (Most probably yes - ed.)

Matt2112

A whole afternoon on water slides - always a highlight of me jollies.

A couple of my splashdowns were a bit painful where it hurts, so even if you have the balls to go on the most thrilling slide, there won't be much left of them afterward.

Matt2112

A trip via boat to Lindos to visit the Acropolis, prevailing through the challenging heat, steep uphill walk and dicey terrain to recreate a couple of photos I took there 10 years ago - but this time, of course, with a special little companion. 😉 8)