Main Menu

Rush's Greatest Song

Started by Slim, March 22, 2022, 10:02:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Well the riff is similar in some respects.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Subdivisions.

Next...

dom

I'd happily argue for any one of Natural Science, Middletown Dreams or Available Light

Jonners

Middletown Dreams, such a wonderful song. Cant get behind AL, just a bit "wet and tinkly" for my liking

dom

Quote from: Jonners on March 30, 2022, 10:51:47 AMMiddletown Dreams, such a wonderful song. Cant get behind AL, just a bit "wet and tinkly" for my liking
To me its their most emotional song, both lyrically and musically

Slim

Not counting "epics": La Villa Strangiato, Free Will, Something for Nothing. I love Available Light but the production is a bit insubstantial.

But the "side one" Hemispheres piece must surely be the band's finest, defining moment.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on March 30, 2022, 11:29:34 AMBut the "side one" Hemispheres piece must surely be the band's finest, defining moment.
What, the one where Geddy sings in a higher register than he was comfortable with and Neil was forced to shoehorn-in a reference from the previous album because of an ill-advised comment on the sleeve notes?
I suppose not many Rush fans at the time were aware that the actual Greek goddess of balance was in fact......Dike  ;D

Prelude is great though and The Sphere finishes the ludicrous tale off quite nicely  ;)

Side two on the other hand........... 8)

Nick

I think on reflection Subdivisions is my goto Rush track,as much I enjoy their classic period the drive and message of Subdivisions gets me every time.

Middletown dreams is getting a lot of deserved love, great track with some great Alex flourishes. I always wondered why they never played it live, I was lucky enough to witness it from the front row when they eventually played it, however I don't think it actually worked well as a live piece.

Matt2112

HYF provided the soundtrack to a heady time during my years in secondary school so I have many precious and (hopefully) indelible memories wrapped up in it. 

What helped with that immeasurably, of course, is that it's 50 minutes of mostly outstanding melodic rock tracks, chock-full of lush synths (I was actually originally disappointed that the keys had actually been scaled back compared to the masterpiece that is PoW), with pristinely polished production by Peter Collins (why, why why wasn't he brought in for GUP and Presto?!) and the boys arguably at the peak of their technical powers.

Where I think HYF fared better than PoW is that somehow the transition of its songs to a live setting worked rather more successfully; ASOH is a testament to that, I think.

Tai Shan is clearly the weakest track on HYF, and I'd agree has an incongruity about it not just in the context of the album but also in terms of it being a Rush song at all - but I honestly don't mind it and I find it perfectly palatable.  As I do High Water - I like its cinematic feel and for me it rounds off the album quite neatly.

I'd give HYF KKKKK, just like Kerrang! did back in the day. :)

Red Lenses

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on March 23, 2022, 01:41:48 PMBest Rush song is impossible to answer.

Maybe The weapon live

This is the correct answer !!!

David L

Quote from: Red Lenses on April 19, 2022, 01:45:14 AM
Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on March 23, 2022, 01:41:48 PMBest Rush song is impossible to answer.

Maybe The weapon live

This is the correct answer !!!
NOooooooooooo! It wasn't even the best Visage song  ;)

Rufus_the_dawg

we were not talking about Visage, so what is the best Visage song?

Slim

Well The Weapon is a retread of Visage's Fade To Grey, so I think we were.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Pudders

Quote from: Slim on April 19, 2022, 10:00:39 AMWell The Weapon is a retread of Visage's Fade To Grey, so I think we were.

Oooh, hadn't thought of that! Fade to Grey is on my main play list, The Weapon isn't ;)

Pudders

Anyway...Analog Kid is the best Rush song closely followed by Middletown Dreams. Seeing the latter played live was kinda great but, as expected, beyond Ged's vocal ability by then. Which was a real shame.