Envy of None: New Album Review

Started by Slim, March 11, 2022, 01:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

So is the album out.. I thought it was April and the guy doing the review mentions March...
From The Land of Honest Men

Jonners

Has Zoony joined yet, to tell us he wont be listening to it?

Matt2112

He had me the third time he mentioned "synths". :D

Fishy

Have to say.. fourth time in and its starting to sound a lot better for me...
It keeps reminding me of Pure Reason Revolution/Chloe Alper in lots of ways particularly in the vocal sound..... even got a King Crimson vibe on the Dog's Life track...   
Its an album that rewards multiple listens... i'm  sticking with it... ;)

Zoony would hate it btw... ::)

Slim

Mine's supposed to plop through the front door today. That Liar tune is belting.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Fishy on April 08, 2022, 10:26:06 AMHave to say.. fourth time in and its starting to sound a lot better for me...
It keeps reminding me of Pure Reason Revolution/Chloe Alper in lots of ways particularly in the vocal sound..... even got a King Crimson vibe on the Dog's Life track... 

Hope it's better than the last track Alex was involved with that had 'Dog' in the title (and it certainly won't come close to as good as the first)  ;D  ;)

Jonners

Its an almost impossible task to listen to it objectively, as I know its got one of my favourite guitarists from one of my favourite bands of over 40 years in it.

However, just fr arguments sake, its an interesting listen. Its not the sort of record I would normally choose to listen to, but parts are really quite atmospheric and beautiful. I imagine if you were sat in a room and wanted something on in the background so you could read/chat/chill, it would probably work quite well.

My issue with albums/sounds like this, especially with the slightly understated female vocals, is that at the end of most tracks nothing seems to have happened.

But it doesn't offend me, so its an improvement on his last 3 released albums.

Maybe it was Alex after all who chose the direction of the band in the 80's........just sayin'

EDIT: if you didnt know who was in the band, listened to Spy House, there is absolutely no way on earth you wouldnt say "Thats Alex playing that solo". Its very him, and very nice

dom

On first listen this is right up my street. It appears to inhabit the same area of the prog universe as Pineapple Thief and as Fishy says PRR. Catchy prog pop. Great stuff!

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Envy Of None - Look Inside reminds me of a slowed down version of My bloody valentine - when you sleep.

Fishy

Nickslikk2112

Being as there's been so much positivity about this and being as I had some Amazon vouchers I have ordered a vinyl copy. What is there to lose?

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 09, 2022, 11:47:03 PMBeing as there's been so much positivity about this and being as I had some Amazon vouchers I have ordered a vinyl copy. What is there to lose?
Just checked - £25  ;)

Fishy

Quote from: David L on April 10, 2022, 08:31:57 AM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on April 09, 2022, 11:47:03 PMBeing as there's been so much positivity about this and being as I had some Amazon vouchers I have ordered a vinyl copy. What is there to lose?
Just checked - £25  ;)
is that the Ukraine coloured vinyl one?