Signals - Album Discussion

Started by R6GYY, May 20, 2022, 11:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

Got thinking again about Losing It looking at Neil in particular.  He wrote it while still a young man of course but I'm wondering how he reflected back on it in later life.  For sure he suffered the same frustration as the dancer, as drumming became more and difficult for him.

I was wondering about the writing though.  Does anyone remember when he last published piece was - how soon before he died?  Did his illness make writing more difficult as time went on?

Nick

I thought his illness came on shortly after the CA tour finished. He seemed to be able to drum effectively but in pain on the tour.

Slim

Would have been the R40 tour I think, but I was last aware of him writing something in 2016.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nick

Quote from: Slim on May 24, 2022, 08:46:36 PMWould have been the R40 tour I think, but I was last aware of him writing something in 2016.
Correct, think my memory is shot.

pdw1

Quote from: dom on May 24, 2022, 03:13:03 PMI was wondering about the writing though.  Does anyone remember when he last published piece was - how soon before he died?  Did his illness make writing more difficult as time went on?

I would guess he kept writing until the very end; he just couldn't help himself.  It is just he stopped publishing stuff. One day when his family is ready we will find out his thoughts as the disease dragged him down.

Jonners

There is an Ultimate Rush Playlist Challenge on Instagram right now,account called Rush Fans

4 teams put together playlists of 15 songs, with some basic rules in place about choosing X number of "long songs", Y number of "classics" etc

The lists are interesting, but fuck me how are people slotting songs like We Hold on and Spindrift in there?

Will try and copy the lists when I get a chance

Slim

Quote from: Jonners on May 25, 2022, 04:36:48 PMThe lists are interesting, but fuck me how are people slotting songs like We Hold on and Spindrift in there?

Madness.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Jonners on May 23, 2022, 04:04:15 PMlove the songs, production feels flat to me

The Remaster does sound better.

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: David L on May 21, 2022, 09:59:18 AMThere's a couple of 'misses' on Signals for me. Chemistry is weak and Digital Man is a 'bitza' if ever there was one. Countdown is a bit of a 'plodder' and The Weapon is a bit of a Visage rip-off although both have their moments.
Analog Kid is superb and is the only track here that could be considered hard rock, which disappointed me at the time.

the opening riff sounds like "Fade to grey" but isnt that a standard electronic riff of the time? the Weapons explodes into a different direction

Slim

I think it's more that pulsating sequencer pattern. I'm pretty sure The Weapon was deliberately based on it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

On the GUP tour live video, when "The Count" is introducing The Weapon and he says, "Oooh, listen to that synthesiser!!" and THAT pattern kicks in, it's a glorious thing of beauty.