Main Menu

Eurovision 2024

Started by Thenop, February 29, 2024, 06:34:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenop

Right, the Dutch entry is known, and it's either hilarious or horrendous. Meaning he will either get 0 points or takes them all.
I am no Eurovision fan at all, but I do like it when artists at least try to use some of their own language. I know it's a disadvantage to some, but this character actually did just that and made it superDutch while making it more Eurovision than I thought would be possible. Put on the subtitles to sort of understand what he is doing, wth a lot of wordplay, mixing Dutch with all sorts of other languages to make rhymes.
To top it off, he has various well known Dutch artists cameo-ing in the video, but the real kicker is this: it's really a song about his father that passed away.

Oh well, go bold or go home I guess.

Slim

Is that Rudolf Schenker making a guest appearance at 1:43? ???

Just reading the lyric translation and in conjunction with the caricature in the video, I can't help thinking that it's powerfully Euro-sceptic, at least superficially.

My favourite ever Eurovision entry was the Dutch 1975 winner. That had really clever harmony and proper chord changes. This one is painfully simple.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on March 01, 2024, 01:54:26 PMIs that Rudolf Schenker making a guest appearance at 1:43? ???

Just reading the lyric translation and in conjunction with the caricature in the video, I can't help thinking that it's powerfully Euro-sceptic, at least superficially.

My favourite ever Eurovision entry was the Dutch 1975 winner. That had really clever harmony and proper chord changes. This one is painfully simple.

It's the exact opposite of Euro sceptic. In fact, it has very little to do with Europe even though the word is everywhere. He basically sings about getting away from everything to avoid the pain of the loss of his father. That's probably difficult to capture in a translation.

I am not a fan of the music, but I find it very cleverly constructed and has all the elements Dutch dance music has been known for the past 30 years. I think it'll be a big success, if not in the competition than at least in the charts.

Matt2112

Well, that sort of cheesy Eurodance stuff takes me back about 30 years; I was expecting to hear the lady from 2Unlimited pipe up at any time in that. :)

R6GYY

Looks and sounds like a Fast Show spoof was my initial reaction  8)

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on February 29, 2024, 06:34:38 PMRight, the Dutch entry is known, and it's either hilarious or horrendous. Meaning he will either get 0 points or takes them all.

It'll be 0 points, I'm afraid. The Dutch entrant has been sent home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68993726

Doesn't look like the sort of person to intimidate people. Odd one.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

In other news - I must say I find it distasteful that Israel have been allowed to take part, in the present circumstances. Classic Israeli selfish disregard for other people of course, considering the trouble they've caused. Hopefully the crowd will make their feelings known.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2024, 11:45:03 AM
Quote from: Thenop on February 29, 2024, 06:34:38 PMRight, the Dutch entry is known, and it's either hilarious or horrendous. Meaning he will either get 0 points or takes them all.

It'll be 0 points, I'm afraid. The Dutch entrant has been sent home.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68993726

Doesn't look like the sort of person to intimidate people. Odd one.

Although it is unknown what was exactly said, the person Joost Klein is not a person who'd do this without a reason, or under normal circumstances. He apparently said something wrong.
It's become a tightrope to walk these days and he stepped the wrong way. In Sweden anyway.

Shame really, I was looking forward to it.

dom

Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2024, 11:49:45 AMIn other news - I must say I find it distasteful that Israel have been allowed to take part, in the present circumstances. Classic Israeli selfish disregard for other people of course, considering the trouble they've caused. Hopefully the crowd will make their feelings known.

Pity they didn't get knocked out in the semi. Oh dear, how sad, never mind!

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on May 11, 2024, 11:49:45 AMIn other news - I must say I find it distasteful that Israel have been allowed to take part, in the present circumstances. Classic Israeli selfish disregard for other people of course, considering the trouble they've caused. Hopefully the crowd will make their feelings known.

Don't be surprised if they win. Sympathy votes and all.
*Eurovision is not political* it's a joke.

Thenop

Statement from the Avrotros (Dutch organizer of the Eurovision event in the Netherlands).

English: We have taken note of the disqualification by the EBU. AVROTROS finds the disqualification disproportionate and is shocked by the decision. We deeply regret this.

An incident occurred after last Thursday's performance. Against clearly made agreements, Joost was filmed when he had just gotten off stage and had to rush to the greenroom. At that moment, Joost repeatedly indicated that he did not want to be filmed. This wasn't respected. This led to a threatening movement from Joost towards the camera. Joost did not touch the camera woman. This incident was reported, followed by an investigation by the EBU and police.

Yesterday and today we consulted extensively with the EBU and proposed several solutions. Nevertheless, the EBU has still decided to disqualify Joost Klein. AVROTROS finds the penalty very heavy and disproportionate. We stand for good manners -let there be no misunderstanding about that- but in our view, an exclusion order is not proportional to this incident.

We are very disappointed and upset for the millions of fans who were so excited for tonight. What Joost brought to the Netherlands and Europe shouldn't have ended this way

pxr5

Big take of the night for me is how many of the acts are singing in their own language. I actually prefer it this way. Some bonkers stuff as per usual - I quite liked Ireland, a Marylin Manson vibe; Finland too haha. UK - meh.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

I confess to liking Croatia's entry.

Other prospects I think will do well are Switzerland and Armenia.

Rousing dance tune from Austria to finish off the show.

Nickslikk2112

Being as Israel isn't in Yurp, they should just feck right off anyway.
Have the Crims been sent packing this year.

Matt2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on May 11, 2024, 11:36:14 PM
Being as Israel isn't in Yurp, they should just feck right off anyway.
Have the Crims been sent packing this year

I was unaware until recently that the entry criterion is countries in the European broadcast area.

Couldn't be arsed with it this year, especially as the U.K. entry is atrociously bad.