COVID-19

Started by Slim, March 12, 2022, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Hope all goes well for Lou Pudders  :)

We've got a friend with MS and she didn't suffer as badly with COVID as her husband - but he's a real wuss...

I've yet to have the current booster, but I had the Moderna one as a booster earlier this year and was fine with it. Just a bit more of a sore arm than the first two doses.

captainkurtz

I'm getting the booster in a fortnight.  4th Jab.  First 2 were fine, third one made just made me feel unbelievably tired.

Best wishes and love to Lou, Neil.

Matt2112

For me, last year's winter flu vaccine had far stronger side effects than all three Covid jabs.

But still far, far less unpleasant than my Covid symptoms the other week.

Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Pudders

Thanks all, much appreciated. We should have been heading down to Fowey today to spend a few days with my sister but obviously have had to postpone (no Osprey photos this year then!). Ironically Lou was about to book her booster (hospital unimpressed she hadn't been notified earlier) but will now have to wait a bit I guess, looking at earlier posts in this thread.

As for me, feeling a bit meh, but no more meh than the many, many times I've tested before and been negative so, I'll have a another beer!

pdw1

Quote from: Pudders on October 08, 2022, 06:45:49 PMLou and I had avoided Covid so far (I still have at the point of typing) but Mrs P tested positive on Thursday evening. Interestingly that set off a chain of events! As she is considered at a higher risk, marginally, because of her MS, she had applied for a box of free tests, which came with a request to register the results.

Registered the positive result Friday morning, received an email a couple of hours later saying that she may be eligible for new treatments to reduce the effect of Covid. Phone call this morning from the Churchill Hospital in Oxford and a few hours later we are in the dialysis unit and she is having an infusion. As this was of Saline Solution I wondered at first if it was a placebo but apparently not.

Symptom wise it appears to be like a really nasty flu - she's quite poorly and completely zonked out but, stable, and no thoughts at all of admission or anything.

Sent home with a fingertip pulse oximeter to test herself over next 14 days.

Be interesting to see if this speeds up the recovery?

Sorry to hear Lou has got Covid. I hope the special treatment helps and she is not too ill. Best wishes from me too.

Pudders

Lou tested negative today which is quite impressive me thinks? Follows a faint line yesterday. Test in hospital on Saturday was really bold so just one of those things or a result of the infusion?

I'm still negative as well, though still plenty of time for that to change of course.

captainkurtz

Great news about Lou.

I had my 4th covid jab at 5pm.  Feel completely unaffected.  No sore arm or tiredness this time.

Slim

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 12, 2022, 09:50:55 PMGreat news about Lou.

I had my 4th covid jab at 5pm.  Feel completely unaffected.  No sore arm or tiredness this time.

Bit early for tiredness to kick in, or it would be for me. But I hope you feel fine tomorrow.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Pudders on October 11, 2022, 05:05:09 PMLou tested negative today which is quite impressive me thinks? Follows a faint line yesterday. Test in hospital on Saturday was really bold so just one of those things or a result of the infusion?

I'm still negative as well, though still plenty of time for that to change of course.
That's good to hear

David L

Dr Chris Smith and Linda Bould are back on breakfast TV...........jesus, no!

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on October 15, 2022, 10:27:03 AMDr Chris Smith and Linda Bould are back on breakfast TV...........jesus, no!

Ah, good - two sensible figures who bust myths peddled by the panicking and the complacent alike. See also: Uncle Tim Spector. :)

Slim

It's that time of year when the cases start to rise. Just had a look on the gov.uk Coronavirus dashboard, haven't done that for a while but positive tests, deaths and hospital admissions have all climbed substantially this month.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Another negative test this morning so I guess it's been some other form of fluey misery for the past couple of days. It did seem more gastric than perhaps I would expect COVID to be. I was strangely disappointed when the second line didn't appear after a slightly delirious night again, as I was hoping to rid myself of this spectre at last. Will probably steer clear of the takeaway I used on Saturday night just in case they poisoned me.

David L

Slim

Nurse Campbell at his grifting, scaremongering-for-money worst here. In this one, he discusses research in which a hybrid strain of SARS-CoV-2 has been created. The new strain killed 80% of the mice that were exposed to it, compared to none for the common-or-garden Omicron that's circulating in the real world.

Within the first two minutes of his video, Campbell comments "OK, it might not be that bad if it escapes into people. It might only kill 40% of the people it infects, or 4% .. we don't know"

It took me three minutes of googling material about this research to find out that:

• The mice had been genetically engineered to be more susceptible to COVID
  • They were exposed to massive viral loads, directly up their nostrils (poor little buggers)

and more importantly

• The hybrid virus is actually less lethal than the original Wuhan strain, which had a human mortality rate of considerably less than 40%, or even 4%.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan