COVID-19

Started by Slim, March 12, 2022, 11:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Flu jab invite arrived today.

I always feel a brief, slight twinge of guilt when this happens because I get it for free only on a medical technicality.

But then I'm a Yorkshireman, so getting owt for nowt makes me happy.

The Picnic Wasp

Got my 'flu and booster jabs this morning. Quite pleased that it was the Moderna vaccine this time but expect I'll will feel dodgy tonight and tomorrow if it follows the course of previous experiences.

Slim

Quote from: Slim on October 06, 2022, 10:41:03 PMWell - 'er indoors has her booster booked for tomorrow, but I haven't booked one so far. I'm not sure whether I will bother.

Here's my thinking.

I've just had a dose of COVID, and it didn't make me seriously ill. If anything, the natural immunity boost I've had from that will have improved my situation.

We don't have a threat of lockdown to overcome, or (presently) a risk of the NHS being overwhelmed. I work from home and don't often interact with strangers or other people outside my household.

I'm not sure I should get a booster at this time.

Interested in people's thoughts on this, as I'm genuinely undecided. I don't doubt that it was important to get the first three jabs, I haven't changed my stance on that but circumstances have moved on. One thing I didn't mention above is that Omicron, which has now completely usurped previous variants, is less severe (as far as we know, according to the data).

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Depends what you read I suppose. Good lengthy articles online on this question by BMJ and Imperial College. Tends to lean towards natural immunity not so good as vaccination, but various arguments for and against. I get a bit of arrhythmia when I'm not feeling so good and I think my booster is causing this today. However, I've not had COVID yet, so who knows what effect that might have. A young woman checking in for her booster today had had COVID recently (more than 29 days ago as is the vaccination requirement) and the medical staff were happy to get her jabbed.

Matt2112

QuoteInterested in people's thoughts on this, as I'm genuinely undecided. I don't doubt that it was important to get the first three jabs, I haven't changed my stance on that but circumstances have moved on. One thing I didn't mention above is that Omicron, which has now completely usurped previous variants, is less severe (as far as we know, according to the data).

Yes, it seems there's two ways of looking at it, and neither are likely to result in a serious negative outcome.

Having the fourth vax can't hurt; but then it may be like using the proverbial sledgehammer to crack a nut.

Myself, well, because my recent Covid infection was not a pleasant experience at all, I'm very inclined to take the fourth vax when recommended, if that is potentially the difference between feeling utterly dreadful for a few days and merely having a sore throat, or something.

David L

Unless you're elderly or vulnerable, my instinct would say do not have the vaccine. It may cause heart issues

Matt2112

A fair number of common, routine medications may cause heart issues.  And a few other issues - have you read those leaflets that come in the packets. ;)

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 07, 2022, 10:09:53 PMA fair number of common, routine medications may cause heart issues.  And a few other issues - have you read those leaflets that come in the packets. ;)

They are used to treat an existing condition or symptomatic health issues though  ;)

The Picnic Wasp

Well, I wasn't expecting this! Up until now I've had a few boosters and felt a bit fluey and out of sorts for a couple of days. However, last night after yesterday's Moderna vaccine I had to take myself to bed early as I felt so bad. Spent the whole night in a state of ache and confusion, not the usual mild 'flu discomfort but a full on deep seated pain. Even turning in bed was absolutely dreadful and a slight back strain I had from earlier in the week chopping firewood had turned into a severe issue. I'm glad I have dogs as they made me get up or I think I'd still be in bed not improving as quickly. My lasting memory of last night will be trying to mentally solve this problem which didn't exist and trying to formulate a way that I could submit it  as a dossier to help other people. Crazy! Totally out of it. Feel really sorry for my sister. She got the same vaccine coincidentally on the same day and has some important stuff to attend to this morning. I hope this Moderna drug works.

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on October 08, 2022, 09:03:06 AM
Quote from: Matt2112 on October 07, 2022, 10:09:53 PMA fair number of common, routine medications may cause heart issues.  And a few other issues - have you read those leaflets that come in the packets. ;)

They are used to treat an existing condition or symptomatic health issues though  ;)

Aspirin is often prescribed as a preventative risk-reducer (as it is in my case - not that the risk is now not that high anyway!) :)

Pudders

Lou and I had avoided Covid so far (I still have at the point of typing) but Mrs P tested positive on Thursday evening. Interestingly that set off a chain of events! As she is considered at a higher risk, marginally, because of her MS, she had applied for a box of free tests, which came with a request to register the results.

Registered the positive result Friday morning, received an email a couple of hours later saying that she may be eligible for new treatments to reduce the effect of Covid. Phone call this morning from the Churchill Hospital in Oxford and a few hours later we are in the dialysis unit and she is having an infusion. As this was of Saline Solution I wondered at first if it was a placebo but apparently not.

Symptom wise it appears to be like a really nasty flu - she's quite poorly and completely zonked out but, stable, and no thoughts at all of admission or anything.

Sent home with a fingertip pulse oximeter to test herself over next 14 days.

Be interesting to see if this speeds up the recovery?

David L

Quote from: Pudders on October 08, 2022, 06:45:49 PMLou and I had avoided Covid so far (I still have at the point of typing) but Mrs P tested positive on Thursday evening. Interestingly that set of a chain of events! As she is considered at a higher risk, marginally, because of her MS, she had applied for a box of free tests, which came with a request to register the results.

Registered the positive result Friday morning, received an email a couple of hours later saying that she may be eligible for new treatments to reduce the effect of Covid. Phone call this morning from the Churchill Hospital in Oxford and a few hours later we are in the dialysis unit and she is having an infusion. As this was of Saline Solution I wondered at first if it was a placebo but apparently not.

Symptom wise it appears to be like a really nasty flu - she's quite poorly and completely zonked out but, stable, and no thoughts at all of admission or anything.

Sent home with a fingertip pulse oximeter to test herself over next 14 days.

Be interesting to see if this speeds up the recovery?

Hope Lou makes a speedy recovery, Pudders. Best wishes

Matt2112

Yes, same from me, Pudders. ❤️

Slim

Best wishes from me as well Neil.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 08, 2022, 11:15:54 AMMy lasting memory of last night will be trying to mentally solve this problem which didn't exist and trying to formulate a way that I could submit it  as a dossier to help other people. Crazy! Totally out of it.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience from the vaccine. A few times in my life I've been pole-axed by a virus and I've had a similar experience, with semi-hallucinogenic unreality superimposing itself over the input from my senses.

During my COVID episode a few weeks ago, even though I knew where I was and I was awake, for a few hours I was processing my thoughts through some sort of symbolic half-dream logic about large cubic blocks interacting with each other that's very hard to explain.

Never had worse than feeling rough and tired from the COVID vaccine, though.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan